Chicago is the Windy City. Todd Sones would know. He works at White Deer Run Golf Club in Vernon Hills, Illinois, about an hour outside Chicago.
Todd is one of Golf Digest’s 50 Best Teachers in America and has been a Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor every year since 1995. He currently serves on the Golf Academy’s National Advisory Board.
We don’t get a whole lot of wind in Arizona, but that doesn’t mean we don’t need to know how to hit the knock down. Here’s how Todd does it:
* Grip down – leave about 1″ between your palm and the end of the grip
* Grip down 2″ for a really low shot – this allows you to stand closer to the ball
* Play the ball back – move it two balls back from normal position
* Make a good, full turn while loading your trailing leg
* Cut off your finish – finish low. Todd calls this the real secret to executing this shot.
* The length of your swing determines the length of your shot
Watch Todd’s tip, and if you like what you see, be sure to check him out online at toddsones.com.